I starting to feel like the sun may never come out! I needed a little gluten-free treat to brighten up the afternoon and these financiers (little tender cakes) went perfectly with my espresso and did, indeed lighten the mood. Enjoy!
6 tbs. coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup almond flour
4 tbs. gluten-free flour (store bought or I use this recipe: https://tangerineandspice.com/category/gluten-free-lemon-desserts)
2 pinches of baking powder
1/8 tsp. sea salt
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/3 cup egg whites (about 2)
1/2 tsp. almond extract (or Italian floria di scilia)
3 tbs. ground pistachio nuts
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease and flour (use a gluten-free flour) financier molds or mini-muffin tins. Melt the coconut oil an set aside.
- Mix the almond flour, gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt and confectioner’s sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in the egg whites and extract into the almond/flour mixture.
- Gradually stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Divide the batter among the molds or tins and sprinkle the tops with ground pistachio nuts.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the financier comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.
- These financiers keep for 1 week in a sealed container at room temp.
- Yield: approximately 10 financiers or more if you use a mini-muffin tin.