This lovely spring breakfast recipe was inspired by a clafoutis recipe I saw in Clotilde Dusoulier’s “The French Market Cookbook.” It’s one of my favorite cookbooks with fantastic menu ideas for all seasons.
2/3 cup almond flour
1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend (store bought or I use this recipe: https://tangerineandspice.com/category/gluten-free-lemon-desserts)
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (omit if you gf flour blend contains it already)
1 tbs. cornstarch
1 pinch of sea salt
3 large eggs
3/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cup strawberries, hulled and sliced in half (if your berries are large, slice they in fourths)
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease a 8-inch square baking pan or round one of a similar size.
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, almond flour, sugar, xanthan gum (if using), cornstarch and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add the eggs to the bowl and whisk.
- Slowly add the milk and whisk to incorporate.
- Place the cut strawberries in the bottom of the baking dish.
- Pour the flour mixture over the strawberries.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until set.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar.
I starting to feel like the sun may never come out! I needed a little gluten-free treat to brighten up the afternoon and these financiers (little tender cakes) went perfectly with my espresso and did, indeed lighten the mood. Enjoy!
6 tbs. coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1 cup almond flour
4 tbs. gluten-free flour (store bought or I use this recipe: https://tangerineandspice.com/category/gluten-free-lemon-desserts)
2 pinches of baking powder
1/8 tsp. sea salt
3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
1/3 cup egg whites (about 2)
1/2 tsp. almond extract (or Italian floria di scilia)
3 tbs. ground pistachio nuts
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease and flour (use a gluten-free flour) financier molds or mini-muffin tins. Melt the coconut oil an set aside.
- Mix the almond flour, gluten-free flour, baking powder, salt and confectioner’s sugar in a medium-sized bowl. Stir in the egg whites and extract into the almond/flour mixture.
- Gradually stir in the melted coconut oil.
- Divide the batter among the molds or tins and sprinkle the tops with ground pistachio nuts.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center of the financier comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.
- These financiers keep for 1 week in a sealed container at room temp.
- Yield: approximately 10 financiers or more if you use a mini-muffin tin.