These tarts are naturally gluten free and you can use any fruit such as apples, pears, plums, apricots or peaches. Serve these will some vanilla ice cream or a large dollop of whipped cream.
Recipe makes 4 tarts.
1 cup almond meal (120 grams)
1 cup sliced almonds (95 grams)
2 egg whites
1/4 cup (55 grams) cane sugar
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
2 apricots (or 2 small plums or peaches) (you could also use 1 pear or apple)
1 tbs. brandy, orange liqueur or orange juice (to mix with fruit)
For toppings: 1 tbs. raw sugar or 2 tbs. maple syrup
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a piece of parchment paper or a non-stick mat on a baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, place the almond flour, sliced almonds, egg whites, sugar, almond extract and salt. Stir to combine making sure to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Cut the fruit in half, remove pit and slice lengthwise into small slices. Place in a bowl and mix with 1 tsp. of brandy or orange juice.
- Divide the dough into 4 large dollops and place on the parchment lined pan. Flatten into 4″ rounds to create the crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add the fruit.
- Place about 4-6 slices of fruit on top of the crust and sprinkle with raw sugar or brush with maple syrup.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crispy and lightly golden on the edges.
- Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream.
recipe adapted from Donna’s Hay’s “Almond Crisp with Maple Pears” in her book, Everyday Fresh Meals in Minutes.