Have some of you lost interest in pandemic baking? Are you ready to turn that oven on and get flour everywhere again? Legend has it that this cake was originally created by a woman to charm a Persian prince. The richness of the almond flour, hints of orange and cardamom will charm your family and loved ones and best off all, it’s so easy! Try serving it with fresh raspberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
- 3/4 cup salted butter (1 1/2 sticks), room temperature
- 4 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- zest of one orange
- 4 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons rose water (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Almond Flour (fine almond flour if you an find it), SIFTED
- 3 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
For The Glaze
- 2 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon rose water or orange liqueur
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 cup chopped pistachios
- 3 tablespoons rose petals (untreated) for garnish
Method of Preparation
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 9″ springform cake pan with parchment paper.
- Grease the sides and bottom of the pan and sprinkle with flour, tapping out the excess. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter, oil, eggs, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Be sure to scrape the bowl after adding each egg Add in orange zest, orange juice, rose water (if using), almond extract and vanilla extract.
- Turn speed to low and add in flour, almond flour, cardamom, baking powder, and salt until just mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until cake is lightly brown on top and tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before making the glaze.
- To make the glaze, combine powdered sugar, rose water (or orange liqueur) and whole milk in a microwave-safe bowl and whisk to combine (glaze will be very thick). Microwave for 10-15 seconds to thin out mixture, then pour over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle crushed pistachios and rose petals. Serve with whipped cream and berries or try it for breakfast with a strong cup of coffee.