When the weather starts to get cooler, I start to crave gingerbread- cakes, muffins, cookies- all of it. All except coffee, I don’t like gingerbread flavor in my coffee! These baked donuts are quick to make, and you only need two bowsl and a donut pan. I added a little orange zest which really brings out the flavors of all the warm spices. I made this recipe non-dairy using oat milk and cultured vegan butter. You could also substitute the all-purpose flour with you favorite gluten-free flour blend.
- 1 1/4 cup (156 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch ground allspice
- pinch of cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or non-dairy butter such as Miyoko’s cultured butter
- 1/4 cup (50 g) light or dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, room temp.
- zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) milk (whole or low-fat) (or non-dairy milk)
- 3 tablespoons fat-free Greek yogurt
Cinnamon Sugar Coating:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup unsalted butter or vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease two 6-count large donut pans or you can use one pan, cooling and greasing it in between batches.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, ground all spice, cardamom, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar and molasses until combined, about 1 minute. Add egg and whisk to combine, another minute. Add the orange zest. Mix in milk and yogurt. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.2
- Add flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir just until combined. Avoid over mixing. The batter will be quite thin which is fine.
- Using a spoon, pour batter into donut tins. The tins will be full.
- Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a donut comes out clean.
- In a separate bow, mix the sugar and cinnamon.
- While the donuts are still warm, dip both sides in the melted butter and then into the cinnamon and sugar mixture.