I love it when breakfast and dessert come together in perfect harmony! I am definitely someone who enjoys cake for breakfast, but after many slices of buttered panettone bread over the holiday season, I am ready for both breakfast and dessert to be healthy. This tart is versatile and delicious- think chewy granola bar crust with a creamy fruit filling. You could use a variety of nuts, any flavored yogurt and any fruit topping that you dream up. In this recipe, I used pecans, almond and hazelnuts in the crust, filled it with peach coconut milk yogurt and topped it with a mixed berry compote. You could also top it with whatever fresh berries you find the market.
2 cups nut of your choice (pecans, almond, walnuts or hazelnuts), lightly toasted
1/4 cup rolled oats
12 medjool dates, soaked in warm water
1 tbs. honey
1/4 tsp. sea salt
3 containers 5.3 oz. yogurt of your choice
1/2 cups frozen raspberries
1/2 cups frozen strawberries
1/4 cup fresh cranberries
2 tbs. water
1 tbs. honey
Method of Preparation:
1. To Make the Crust: In the bowl of a food processor, pulse nuts, drained dates, honey and salt until it starts to form a dough- do not over process.
2. Press the nut dough into a 9 1/2″ tart pan with a removable bottom. You can also use a 13 x 4″ rectangular tart pan. Place a the freezer for 15 minutes.
3. To Make the Compote: Mix the berries, honey and water in a small saucepan and cook until thick and syrupy- about 10 minutes.
4. Mix the yogurt together in a bowl and pour in the tart crust.
5. Allow the compote to cool for 15 minutes and pour on top of the yogurt.
6. Refrigerate for a hour.