Somehow I never tire of the amazing array of summer fruit and my need to find new ways to showcase them. These almond cakes are a perfect backdrop to whatever fruit looks good to you! My family says I have been overdoing it with the fresh currants, so I used peaches and raspberries. If you do stumble across fresh currants, they are an amazing addition to desserts and even oatmeal.
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 lemon, zested
1 lime, zested
2 tbs. lemon juice
2 tbs. lime juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract or flori di Sicilia (Italian citrus and vanilla extract)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup blanched almond flour, sifted
1/2 cup millet or sorghum flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin tin with papers or use mini panettone molds.
- Using the whisk attachment, beat the eggs an sugar until pal yellow in color and fluffy.
- Add the lemon and lime zest, lemon and lime juice, olive oil, vanilla extract (or fioria di Sicilia). Beat lightly.
- Add the almond flour, millet flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among muffin tins, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.