Are you looking for some treats to make for Valentine’s Day or to warm up on a winter day? Well look no further, as these cookies are amazing! They are not complicated and when dipped in melted dark chocolate, they are a decadent dessert. I dipped mine in chopped pistachios, unsweetened coconut, chopped crystallized ginger and roasted cacao nibs.
Makes 12 medium sized hearts and 8 tiny hearts
1/2 cup coconut oil, room temp. ( you could also use soft unsalted butter)
1/3 cup maple syrup
2 tbs. cane sugar
1 3/4 cup gluten-free flour of your choice
1/2 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Method of Preparation:
- Place the coconut oil (or butter) in a mixing bowl and mix until soft and creamy. Add the maple syrup, sugar and vanilla extract and mix for 2 minutes to get some air into the mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the gf flour blend, almond flour and salt.
- Form dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and flatten.
- Chill for 30 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment to 1/4″ thickness. Cut out hearts using a cutter.
- Place on parchment lined sheet pans and bake for 15-16 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cookies will harden as they cool.
- Melt chopped dark or bittersweet chocolate over a double boiler or in a microwave on low.
- Dip the edges of the cookies in the chocolate and sprinkle with desired toppings such as chopped nuts or coconut.