Apparently Mother Nature has not gotten the memo that it’s June and we are all tired of these rainy cold days. In an effort to bring the sun into my kitchen today, I decided to make a bright and juicy apricot almond tart. I brewed some strong coffee and had a late breakfast that lifted my sprits. This recipe works well with plums too.
gluten-free puff pastry, split in half (I use this recipe: https://tangerineandspice.com/2016/03/10/gluten-free-puff-pastry-and-apricot-almond-danish/)
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 large egg
4 tbs. unsalted butter, cut into 1′ pieces
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tbs. gluten-free flour (blend of your choice)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
3 large apricots, or 4-6 small ( halved and pitted)
rice flour for rolling the pastry
Method of Preparation:
1. Roll the puff pastry out on lightly floured parchment to a rectangle 12×16. Fold over the edges of the pastry to make a 1/2″ border all around the sides of the pastry rectangle. Prick the entire surface with a fork. Leaving the tart on the parchment, place it on a baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
3. In the bowl of a food processor, place the almonds and sugar and process until finely chopped. Add the butter, eggs, almond extract, sea salt, and gluten-free flour; process until smooth.
4. Remove the pastry from the freezer. Spread the almond cream over the pastry, being sure to stay away from the border.
5. Place the dried apricots evenly over the almond cream.
6. set the apricot halves on top of the almond cream.
7. Sprinkle the almonds over the top of the tart.
8. Bake the tart for 10 minutes and then turn the oven down to 350 F. and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until it’s lightly browned.