I recently found some beautiful looking cornmeal from Songbird Farm in Maine. It’s made from Abenaki Flint corn which is uniquely adapted to New England’s short growing season. It’s slightly sweet and nutty with flecks of deep yellow and red. I have visions of spring in my mind this week so I decided to make strawberry muffins using this beautiful cornmeal.
1 cup gluten-free flour blend of your choice
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 5 oz. container of strawberry yogurt (I used Siggi’s brand)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup grape seed or melted coconut oil
1 cup chopped strawberries (about 1/4″ in size)
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grease or paper the muffin cups.
- In a large bowl, combine the gluten-free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a 2-cup measuring cup or small bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, orange juice, oil, and egg. Lightly whisk to combine.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Add the chopped strawberries and stir until distributed throughout the batter.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
- Yield: 12 muffins