For these little treats, I used an old recipe that belongs to my mom. Instead of using tons of white sugar, I decided to try honey and cane sugar which worked beautifully. This recipe would work with any citrus fruits and would be perfect for homemade panettone bread.
3 oranges ( I used two Cara Cara and one blood red orange)
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of honey
1/2-1 cup cane sugar
Dark Chocolate Coating:
1 cup dark chocolate chopped
2 tsp. coconut oil
Method of Preparation:
- Cut orange peels into 1/4-inch slices. Be sure to cut off most of the white pith.
- Place peels in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and drain. Repeat this process two more times to remove the bitterness from the peels. Place the peels in an ice bath to cool.
- Combine water and honey in the same saucepan. Bring to a boil, add the orange peel and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat so the mixture is barely simmering. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain well and place on parchment lined sheet pan to cool.
- Roll cooled peels in cane sugar.
- Melt dark chocolate and coconut oil in a double boiler over barely simmering water, stirring often.
- When the chocolate is smooth and melted, dip 3/4 of the orange peel in the dark chocolate. Place them on a parchment lined baking sheet to cool.